Someone I dearly love has been wrestling with lies from the enemy and shared more openly with me tonight about it. As I listened I got mad, furious that he would torment her and give her such ideas, ideas to harm herself. I reminded her that he doesn’t care about her and she doesn’t have to listen. She said she needs a miracle. The beautiful thing is that we serve a God who does miracles all the time. Read this and be encouraged:
(I posted this on my old blog a few years ago – I want to post it again)
Our spiritual enemy wants the opposite of what God wants for each of us. He will use lots of different tactics to try to drag us away and turn from God.
In order to defend yourself or even have a chance at defeating an enemy, you must know about the enemy. Here are a few things you need to remember about our spiritual enemy, the devil:
- He wants to destroy us. “Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith.” I Peter 5:8-9
- All you have to do is resist him. You don’t even have to fight or attack, just stand firm. “Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.” James 4:7
- God has given you all you need to stand up to the enemy: “Be strong with the Lord’s mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. Use every piece of God’s armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared. In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 16:10-17
- He’s busy in this world. “He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.” Ephesians 2:2
- He sometimes appears to be something good, in disguise. “I am not surprised! Even Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light.” II Corinthians 11:14
- At the name of Jesus, he will flee. “This went on day after day until Paul got so exasperated that he turned and spoke to the demon within her. ‘I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her,’ he said. And instantly it left her.” Acts 16:18
- His only power over us was death, and Jesus has conquered death. “Because God’s children are human beings–made of flesh and blood–Jesus also became flesh and blood by being born in human form. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the Devil, who had the power of death. Only in this way could he deliver those who have lived all their lives as slaves to the fear of dying.” Hebrews 2:14-15
- He is a defeated enemy, his future has already been determined by God. “Then the Devil, who betrayed them, was thrown into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur, joining the beast and the false prophet. There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.” Revelation 20:10
Here are a few things he is NOT:
- The enemy is not all-powerful like our God is.
- He is not present everywhere like God is.
- He cannot create things, he can only manipulate.
- He doesn’t know all like God does.
- He has no power over you unless you give in to his lies.
So, please remember that if you trust in Jesus you’re a child of God and you have nothing to fear! Don’t let the enemy lie to you or trip you. We belong to Jesus, He paid for our lives with his own blood. We already know we’re going to win! Draw near to God and He will draw near to You. Nothing, no one can take you from his strong, loving, and protective hand. Jesus said, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.” John 10:28-29